Copper, bad!

Copper pots and pans hanging in a kitchen
Why do people even make these?!!

I just learned some crazy stuff in my new Food Safety  & Sanitation class.  Did you know that copper pots and utensils create a chemical reaction with certain foods that are FATALLY POISONOUS?  How do I not already know this??  Are other people unaware of this??  It seems like a pretty important thing to know,

While copper pots are beneficial when whipping eggs or making chocolate, it is basically harmful with every other foods including anything acidic (tomatoes, lemon, citrus, etc.), dairy (milk, cream, yogurt, butter), pickled foods, and honey.

And even though whipping eggs in a copper pot will cause it to be light and airy longer, if you add the whipping agent cream of tartar which is also acidic, again, fatally poisonous!

I can already tell that this class is going to be bad for my hypochondriac nature…

Advertisements

One thought on “Copper, bad!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s